Monday, November 24, 2008

Here's To Your Best Thanksgiving Ever!

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. The day of "giving thanks" offers a great opportunity for reflection on all of the blessings in our lives, we get to share time with the people we love, and, of course, there's lots of tasty food to eat!

Speaking of blessings, I'm incredibly privileged to share my life with my wife, Carolyn, who is not only a wonderful spouse, but an incredible mom, friend and a tremendous support to our family. I am very blessed by my 21 year old son, Justin, and my 2-year old daughter, Kayla, who both keep me smiling and laughing every day and make me feel so honored to be their dad.

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'd like to share my annual ritual and hope it offers you the same energy, enthusiasm and connection to those you care deeply for.

1. Workout on Thanksgiving morning! There is nothing better than getting in a nice "turkey trot" the morning before the feast gets started. Better yet, engage the entire family and enjoy some "sweat time" together. Your mental, emotional and physical energy will soar and you'll feel less guilty when you do indulge in the big meal.

2. Have a "Burn the Bird" workout on Friday morning before you hit the malls! There's no better way to ramp up your energy, burn up some Thanksgiving calories and feel great again than a workout first thing Friday morning after the eating fest of the previous day.

3. Eat "healthy" before the big meal! Thanksgiving is often filled with lots of alcohol, appetizers and food. It's no secret that weight gain comes from taking in more calories than you burn off. If you eat a "healthy" snack or meal a few hours before the feast, you'll overeat a lot less when the relatives are going back for seconds and thirds.

4. Write down 10 things you're thankful for! This is one of my favorite rituals because it's so powerful in directing how you feel. When you take a moment out of your busy and often hectic life to become quite and think of all the blessings in your life, you'll soon discover how rich you truly are. Once I get a few things I'm grateful for in my mind, I quickly discover many, many more things that I often forget that I'm incredibly appreciative about. This is a great way to start Thanksgiving!

5. Enjoy the food! Remember, Thanksgiving is only one day, so relax your "healthy" rules and enjoy the day. Remember, if you're exercising and eating right consistently, you can't get fat in a day!! And if you're looking for a Thanksgiving Survival Guide, click the link below to discover how you can eliminate 1500 calories on Thanksgiving and still enjoy great tasting food!

Click here for your Thanksgiving Survival Guide!

Thank you for being a part of my life!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Your friend in fitness,
Brian Calkins - Cincinnati's HealthStyle Fitness, Inc

No comments: