Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I can...

Okay, so the subject of today's posting is "I Can"

Because so many people live in a world of "I can't."

I was thinking about this on the way into the studio this morning.

Reflecting about an inspiring young boy that I met on Saturday, and how against all odds, he thoroughly believes he can.

And thinking about my dad, who turned 70 yesterday, and all the lessons he taught me growing up, and still today. He was a tough Marine, but also had a great soft side.

And then I started thinking about all the clients who've we've met through the years ... some when they started initially thinking that they can't - "can't do 15 minutes on the elliptical machine", "can't do pushups", "can't this or can't that..."

Yet somewhere along the line their cant's turned into I CAN do this!

That I CAN attitude, though, is what all of us need.

I love the Zig Ziglar quote that says:

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."

Many of you did the Heart Mini Marathon yesterday -- or recently completed another similar event - a first for many. Others have been preparing for one of the Flying Pig events coming up in 5 weeks. Those are all "I can" attitudes.

It's not just with exercise, though.

We should approach everything in life with this same attitude.

Back to the amazing boy I met on Saturday - Ryan Korgengel.

In the fall of 2008 a tree fell on him during that huge wind storm we had .... and 2/3rds of the right side of his brain was damaged.

He was rushed to the hospital ... and after a 5 hour surgery, the doctors expected him to be paralyzed on the left side of his body, if he made it past the first 72 hours post-surgery.

Not only did he make it out of surgery, Ryan set goals ... to walk again, to get back out on the golf course and play again.

This young guy is so full of determination ...

He's been walking in therapy with the help of a robot ...

Ryan's parents heard about the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill and stopped by on Saturday to see if it would be appropriate for him.

After he got on it ... let's just say his dad had to keep Ryan from going too fast...he was ready to run!!

And watching the huge grin on his face Saturday was simply amazing.

He and his parents have this amazing belief, and faith ...

...they have the "I can" attitude, and when you're around them, you feel it too.

Here's a short video of Ryan's story - definitely worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mh0TvCSMM

Keep Ryan in mind anytime you question whether you CAN do something ... and then go out there and give it your best shot!

Your friend in fitness,

Brian Calkins

No comments: