Friday, December 5, 2014

Reflect & Plan for 2015 ...

Thank you for the great feedback on last week's article from Harvard Magazine - although it was long, I had a feeling it would resonate with many of you as one of the most complete articles on the benefits of daily exercise.

So, over the past few days I've been reflecting on 2014, and doing some thinking and a little preparing and planning for 2015.

Great questions to help in this process include:

  • "What worked well this past year?" "What are some of the highlights in my work and personal life in 2014?"  "What do I want to do more of in 2015?"
  • "What didn't work out so well this year?"  "What are the lessons I've learned in 2014?" And "what do I need to stop doing, or do less of in 2015?"  

Yesterday and today I'm meeting with my accountability group to report in on the good things that happened in 2014, along with the lessons I've learned, and to present a plan for the coming year. 

These two days for me is an opportunity to take a step away from the day to day, and step into a supportive environment with open and honest feedback.  Stephen Covey talks about "sharpening the saw" ... if all we do is cut wood all day long, our blade becomes dull.  Thus, we need to step back from cutting (work, producing, even parenting) to sharpen the saw so that when we get back to cutting we're much more effective.

I think it's essential that we all step out of our lives, even for just a day, to reflect, recount, appreciate and design the next phase (month, quarter, year, decade).  Doing so refreshes the mind, but also gives direction to our lives. 

Is there a day this month that you can step away from work and family, review 2014, and plan for 2015?  Plug that day into your calendar, and use the questions above as a simple (yet very effective) guideline in the planning process.

I'll send you one more "planning" email tomorrow to further stimulate your thinking around 2015. 

I'd love to hear the impact this process has for you!

Your friend in fitness,

Brian Calkins
NSCA-CPT, ACE

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

HealthStyle Fitness, Inc. | 4700 Smith Road Suite C, Cincinnati, OH 45212 | 513-407-4665, x-105 | www.CincinnatiFitness.com

No comments: