Monday, January 12, 2015

My Perfect Day of Eating ...

My 2015 theme is all about Recapture

Recapturing some of the things I've allowed to slip a bit.

Nothing major, but some areas where my standard has dropped a little here, a little there.

For example, I continue to run several days per week.  But in 2014 my long runs dropped from an average of 2 hours and 20 minutes down to 1 hour and 45 minutes. 

It's all relative.  Most people would say the difference is insignificant - it's still an hour and 45 minutes of running!  And big picture I totally agree. 

For me though, it's a noticeable drop off.  It has meaning to me – I'm not in the running shape I prefer.  Again, I don't feel like I'm a slacker, but simply not at the level I want.

And I haven't run a competitive race since 2013, two years in May. 

I am recapturing my long runs, my running pace, and my running intensity (more intervals, track work, and hill repeats).

And I'll get back down to my running weight.  Right now I'm 5-8 pounds heavier than my ideal running weight.  Recapture! 

The added 30 – 60 minutes of training each week will allow me to recapture my running weight, ideal running pace, and a half marathon in 4-5 months. 

But, nutrition will be the determining factor in getting to my goal weight.  It's far too easy to out eat our exercise … it happens to all of us.  Train hard, get hungry, eat more calories than we just burned working out.   It's very, very common.  Here's a short clip on how easy it is out eat your exercise

So to help me stay on track with my nutrition, I created my personal "Perfect Day of Eating" memo that I've posted at home and in my office.

I do NOT expect to have a "perfect" day all the time.  But posting my perfect day of eating keeps my ideal day of nutrition in the forefront of my mind, and gives me a much greater chance of having great nutrition days.

So now it's just a game to me …. How many perfect, or close to perfect days can I ring up in 2015?

Here's my perfect eating day:

To make this work longterm I need to be very flexible with my mindset.  There are tons of variables that will create "perfect eating day" variations.  Long run days I'll need more complex grain-based carbs and starchy carbs to replenish 2+ hours of running, for example.  When I travel my environment won't be as controlled as when I'm in Cincinnati.  There will be food-centered gatherings with friends and family.  I'll be at a restaurant that I may not have chosen.  I'm mentally and emotionally prepared to handle these things.  I'm going to truly do the best I can to rack up as many perfect, or close to perfect days as possible.  And as long as I truly do my best, I refuse to feel badly when situations beyond my control alter my perfect eating.

What does YOUR ideal nutrition day look like?

Your friend in fitness,

Brian Calkins
NSCA-CPT, ACE

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

HealthStyle Fitness, Inc. | 4700 Smith Road Suite C, Cincinnati, OH 45212 | 513-407-4665, x-105 | www.CincinnatiFitness.com

No comments: