With all the snow on the ground the past couple of weeks it's hard to believe that we're 2½ weeks away from the beginning of spring.
The days are getting longer, and soon enough the temperatures will be rising. Even today we're starting to see that snow melt away as we get into the 50's!
Within a month or so we'll start to see nature coming alive, energy improving, spirits elevating.
Next camp session we'll be targeting workouts to prepare you for spring clothing, and we'll put an emphasis on cleaning up your nutrition.
Between now and then (March 16), start to identify any nutritional habits that may have crept in over the long winter. Things like:
- An extra latté in the afternoon to help you get through the day.
- The extra helping at dinner.
- An afternoon trip to the vending machine, perhaps from boredom or stress.
- Bites, licks and tastes off the kids or husband's plates.
Little things that are small in isolation, but add up over the dreary, cold months of the year.
A small bite here, two sips there, ultimately turns into a couple hundred calories in a day. Over a year, a simple extra 100 calories per day equals an extra 10 pounds in a year of energy (calories) that need to be burned, or stored.
It's easy to fall prey to the few extra calories, we all do it at times, and wintertime usually is the hardest to stay clean for most. The big meals register on the brain, you feel the big post-meal energy drain, but an extra little chocolate leftover from Valentines usually doesn't get "accounted for".
This is the perfect time of the year to check in with your diet, and clean up any "winter" habits that may have developed.
Here are 3 tips to make sure you stay on track.
- Get your workout in. Studies show those who work out follow a better diet over the next 24 hours.
- For a week, write down what you eat to increase your awareness. Without question, those who track their food intake see the best results.
- Be conscious of the mindless eating, especially if you're trying to get your arms, legs, and midsection toned and ready for spring/summer season.
Your friend in fitness,
HealthStyle Fitness, Inc. | 4700 Smith Road Suite C, Cincinnati, OH 45212 | 513-407-4665, x-105 | www.CincinnatiFitness.com